Tuesday, December 8, 2015

True Beauty--it's not crazy

True beauty is . . . "let's be crazy?"

I've recently been struck with yet another truth in the Bible that our culture has twisted. If you listen to any secular song, the girls guys sing about are always described as "wild" or "crazy". I once tested my theory by listening to a country station on my way home from work. Every single boyfriend/girlfriend song centered on how the girl was incredibly spontaneous and wild (and all the guys drank and had big trucks, but that is a subject for another day). It's almost as if the only girl worth pursuing in their minds is the girl who runs around in the rain singing "it's a party in the USA!" or the one stealing the guy's cowboy hats and hearts . . . or partying till the "cops show up to try and shut us down".

The more I think about this, the more I know it is a lie. And my heart is so sad for the many Christian young ladies who have unquestioningly bought the lie that to truly be beautiful, you need to have that wild side. But please trust me when I tell you that not all guys think that is really an essential to beauty! And more importantly, it would seem our God's description of a beautiful woman runs at an almost complete parallel to what our world says today:

In the same way, you wives, be submissive to your own husbands so that even if any of them are disobedient to the word, they may be won without a word by the behavior of their wives, as they observe your chaste and respectful behavior. Your adornment must not be merely external—braiding the hair, and wearing gold jewelry, or putting on dresses; 4 but let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the imperishable quality of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is precious in the sight of God.

Charm is deceitful and beauty is vain, But a woman who fears the LORD, she shall be praised. Give her the product of her hands, and let her works praise her in the gates. (Proverbs 31:30-31

To me, these are the girls worth singing about! I would encourage all of my sisters in Christ to carefully evaluate who you get your identity from. Would you rather believe Hunter Hayes and the gang of other high-pitched Pop-singer boys telling you to be wild and crazy? Which, to be frankly honest, are the same characteristics of a women no one should aspire to in the Bible: "She is boisterous and rebellious and her feet do not remain at home" Proverbs 7:11. Or would you rather listen to the words of the Almighty God who is infinitely wise and wants the best for all of us? One last verse I hope encourages you (think "sisters" instead of "brethren" below) ;0):

Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect. Romans 12:1-2

Post script: Just for a little bit of clarity: Obviously, there is a big difference between cheerfulness and wildness! A girl who is happy, cheerful, and kind-hearted is most certainly the virtuous woman in the Bible,  because all those characteristics are outward fruits of a woman who truly fears the Lord! Also, I know I am kind of preaching to the choir here, but I just felt like I needed to share these thoughts with you all to encourage you sisters in Christ, and hopefully to remind my brothers in Christ of what is truly beautiful! ;0)

No comments:

Post a Comment